Tag: joel matip
Jurgen Klopp thinks the signing of Joel Matip is “one of best pieces of business” he has done since joining Liverpool.
The Cameroon international swapped Bundesliga side Schalke for the Reds in 2016 on a free transfer and took a while to settle in at Anfield.
Matip was the unlikeliest of heroes in a phenomenal Liverpool season last term, starting it as perhaps the fourth-choice centre-half but ending it as part of a wonderful defence alongside Virgil van Dijk.
And he has now become an integral member of the Liverpool side that has won six out of six Premier League matches so far this term, starting five games.
When asked about Matip’s maturity, Klopp said: “That’s what happens with footballers, with human beings, they grow.”
Klopp added: With the challenges you have, you grow. Joel was always an incredible talent. He was 18 playing for Schalke, that’s not easy.
“In a world of big transfer fees, signing Joel on free transfer was incredible, one of best pieces of business we did.”
The post Klopp: Matip one of my ‘best pieces of business’ appeared first on Football365.
- Smith: Leicester loss was like basketball game
- Bayern suffer late defeat at Monchengladbach to fall further off Bundesliga pace
- Man City v Man Utd: Martial and Shaw start; Pep makes one change
- Lamouchi hails cameo from two-goal Grabban and denies resting top scorer
- Jack the lad: How much is Best-esque Grealish worth?
- Hello world! on