Terry Butcher, *that* photo & a supply of washing powder
It remains one of the most iconic moments captured in the Three Lions photo archive.
It is September 6th, 1989, and Terry Butcher is celebrating a hard-earned point after a goalless World Cup qualifier away at Sweden. It proved crucial in England making the cut for Italia 90 the following year.
The famous photo shows Butcher ‘butchered’. A first-half clash of heads with Swedish striker Johnny Ekstrom left the defender bleeding heavily. After receiving treatment and being bandaged up, Butcher famously battled on. By the end of the game his white England shirt was covered in claret; the 77-cap legend literally bleeding for the cause.
Read the full article here.
The post Terry Butcher, *that* photo & a supply of washing powder appeared first on Football365.
- Terry Butcher, *that* photo & a supply of washing powder
- Johan Cruyff used a PE teacher to exact revenge on Ajax
- Sanchez: I wanted to return to Arsenal after first day at Man Utd
- Messi’s future at Barcelona ‘difficult’, says father and agent
- Maguire shouted ‘f*** the Greek civilisation’, says arresting officer
- Hello world! on